You will be responsible for overseeing and managing the company’s trade operations. Develop and implement strategic plans to expand the company’s trade and profitability in assigned markets . Identify and pursue new business opportunities, partnerships, and market trends. This role requires a strategic leader with a deep understanding of the shipping liner and NVOCC industry.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Manage and strengthen relationships with agency partners, ensuring compliance with company standards.
- Evaluate and measure agency partners to expand the network and improve service coverage.
- Acquire operational directives from management and synchronize trade and business development activities with organizational goals. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to meet profit and Volume targets.
- Develop and implement strategic plans to expand the company’s trade volume and drive high profitability.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities, partnerships, and market trends.
- Align MMG standard pricing with prevailing market rates and evaluate the market’s capacity to bear these rates. Strategically manage VIP accounts, pricing, and tender processes. Regularly update information on various revenue items, including demurrage and local charges.
- Monitor financial performance, analyze variances, and implement corrective actions as needed.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key customers, addressing their needs and concerns.
- Work closely with the sales team to enhance customer satisfaction and drive business growth.
- Stay informed about industry regulations and ensure compliance with local and international trade laws.
- Implement and update policies and procedures to ensure adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) for trade and agency operations, regularly monitoring and reporting on performance.
- Forecast market trends in both core and peripheral markets. Monitor achievements through vessel bookings and filling factors.
Key Performance Indicators
- Achieve budget volume and revenue for the assigned region .
- Following management directions and coordinating trade activities to meet profit and volume goals with cross-functional teams.
- Identifying and going after new business opportunities, partnerships, and market trends.
- Setting prices in line with the market and managing important accounts strategically, including pricing and tender processes.
- Monitor the consistency of customer support and compile data on trade volumes, targeting relevant market segments.
- Provide business units with meaningful insights and analyses of commercial conditions within respective countries.
- Increase market segments such as FOB, CIF, Projects, and Special Equipment. Evaluate vessel utilization for dominant and counter-dominant legs, optimize pricing for maximum revenues, and leverage General Rate Increases (GRI) effectively.
- Network with customers, offices, and competitors to anticipate market developments and capitalize on emerging opportunities.
Key Interactions (Internal | External)
Internal: Finance | Commercial | Inventory | Operations | Pricing |
External: Customers | Trader | Agencies Network operator|
Bachelor’s degree in business, Logistics, or a related field; Master’s degree is a plus., Good computer skills (shipping software, related logistics / shipping / marine certification, MS Office – Excel)
English– Fluent (required)
Background and experience
- 4-5 years of Trade Management experience in managerial role within Liner/ NVOCC Shipping environment.
- Extensive experience in shipping and liner, with a focus on NVOCC operations.
- Proven track record of successfully managing trade operations and agency networks in the Middle East.
- Knowledge of containers and its movement, trade lanes, port, harbor, pricing, customs and immigration activities and procedures, and necessary legal requirements
- Knowledge of Terminal operating systems, shipping operations, vessel services and port rotations.
Competencies and Skills
- Time management and organizational skills
- Analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills when under pressure and tight work deadlines
- Financial acumen and budget management experience.
- Team management and leadership qualities