Main tasks and responsibilities
- Responsible for vessel stowage planning, vessel operations in ports, communication with ship’s masters in all concerning vessel stowage, constraints, stability criteria
- The Vessel Planner is in charge of vessel stowage and cargo loading/discharging process, as well as the full process of data communication between ports and agencies.
- He has to make sure that he has all the information needed to perform his job properly, which is vessels/terminals specifications and contacts of all parties he needs to communicate with, i.e. Line Managers, vessels, terminals, agencies
- Consult with line managers to mutually develop the best vessel schedules.
- Planner need to be fully aware of containers specifications to be loaded, i.e. type, weight, etc.
- Vessel planner must look ahead in order to prevent stowage problems and constraints in the next ports. He will not only optimize the stowage of current ports, but will look at the optimization with a view to the voyage in general
- The planner must be well aware of costs that may be incurred in, should extra handling (restowes) be required for stowage optimization and cargo maximization
- The planner will prepare the stowage plan keeping well in mind the v/l’s allocation, ships’ characteristics as well as terminal ability to improve the productivity – maximization of number of gangs working simultaneously
- Upon vessel departure from the terminal, The Vessel Planner make sure that the final list of containers loaded is duly shared with Line Manager Team for immediate invoicing process.
- Keeping track of relevant changes in various rules, regulations & policy matters of calling ports/terminals
- Approving special units OOG & BB
- Providing Vessel planning & IMDG CODE training to New Joiners
- Responding to Container terminals for their queries related to vessel and its specifications
- Updates and generate monthly reports on vessel performance and utilization-Fleet Idle time in port.
Key interactions (Internal | External)
External: Vessel’s Masters, Container Terminal
Internal: Operation Manager
Graduate , Good computer skills (shipping software, EBMS, Tally, finance module, related logistics/ shipping/ marine certification, MS Office – Excel)
English – Fluent (required)
Background and experience
- Above 3 years experience into planning
Competencies and skills
- Good analytics
- Communication skill
- Agile and flexible and available to work 24/7 if work demands